Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I don't know if there are many mothers out there that could be as happy as I am this 2011 Mother's Day.  It's not because I sort of slept in until almost 8:00 am -- though I desperately needed that.  It's also not because I have played on the computer all morning without getting "the look" from my husband that says "is that all you ever do"??? -- he's being a bit too understanding if you ask me!  It isn't because I got to spend the day yesterday roaming around the town of Independence, KS -- though that is one of my favorite things to do. It's always relaxing. It's not even because I just found out my sister who is battling cancer is going to be at my mom's today and I will get to see her and hug her -- I am extremely excited about that as I have NEEDED to do that for a while now.  No.  Those are all things I could be and am happy about.  But, the main reason is ... and this will come as no surprise to the majority ... I have all four of my children with me to celebrate today.  ALL FOUR!

Those of you who know me or have been following know my oldest daughter (16) had to have brain surgery not so long ago due to a massive brain hemorrhage.  This six month ordeal has been the hardest and yet most awe inspiring time of my entire life and, as additional facts have unfolded, we have realized more and more just how fortunate we are to have her with us still.  On Friday, her Drama class performed their monologues before the entire group.  It's a small and intimate group, as the teacher recommended Katherine participate in the class at the High School to get her back into the classroom (she's in 10th grade.  This is the 11th/12th grade class).  Since it is across town, I get to stay and observe instead of running back and forth (gas is almost $4.00/gallon, you know!). I LOVE the class.  I LOVE watching the students perform.  I LOVE that so much of what the instructor has to say about acting/plays fits writing as well.  But, that's not why I'm so happy either.

When that Friday class was over, the instructor hugged Katherine and reminded her what a miracle she is, not only because she is here but because her brain works!  I won't share the rest, but I did walk out of that room all teary-eyed.  I was reminded all over again of an ambulance ride filled with tears and prayers and my sister's texts reminding me of God's promises and that my initial prayer had been not only that Katherine survive but that all her smarts remain intact.  We received her report card last week.  It was filled with straight As!

We'll be taking her back to Mayo in MN soon for her 3 month check.  She'll see her Neurosurgeon, a team of doctors, and get a new cat scan so they can actually see what's going on in there.  I'm expecting a great report.

So, you see, having all four of my children with me this year is definitely worth celebrating.  I couldn't be happier this Mother's Day and I'm hopeful each of you will find that happiness surrounding you today.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. I am so happy for you, Linda! I believe you have all four of your children with you today, because God knows what an inspiring Mother you are to them. He knows that if anyone can teach them to be loving, caring adults, it's you! He would not rid the world of what it needs most right now....LOVE!
    Yes, you are so blessed to have them and they are also truly blessed to have you, my friend.
    Happy Mother's Day!:-)

    ReplyDelete