Monday, May 15, 2017

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to my Deadline

As an Indie author, I get to write at my own pace, pick my own plots, and set my own deadlines, among other perks and bonuses. The only problem is, like so many Indie authors, I also have a day job... thankfully, mine is amazing because I get to design book covers for authors around the world. Some of the more recent include:

https://www.amazon.com/Envys-Kindness-Seven-Deadly-Sins-ebook/dp/B07254KRSGhttps://www.amazon.com/Sword-Einiko-Swords-Bloodline-Book-ebook/dp/B0722S9KP7https://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Ever-After-Kindle-Novella-ebook/dp/B0716P9LRW

https://www.amazon.com/Lap-Around-America-Shawn-Inmon-ebook/dp/B06XY9GSWChttps://www.amazon.com/Unscheduled-Detour-Mary-Sleeman-Grones-ebook/dp/B0725LQMLH

Still, as much as I love my job, and as excited as I get for "my" authors when they publish something new -- in fact, I wouldn't trade being a part of that for anything -- but, sometimes I mis-schedule and take on too many projects, or take too long on a particular cover, and that starts a domino effect. Before I know it, my muse slips out the door and my writing comes to a crawl... not a standstill, but certainly much slower than is needed to hit my deadline. 

That's where I am with On Wings of Fire, but I'm willing to wait and take it slow so I can fully develop this story. If you've read On Wings of Time, you'll understand the time travel complexity of this series, though I love that aspect of these stories. There's a past to present to past back to present pattern that allows us to see the time periods from the eyes of A) someone from the past seeing present time and B) someone from present time seeing the past. These books are also a bit steamier than what I've written in the past, and yet, beyond the time travel, beyond the love scenes, even beyond the dragon shifter elements, it's 100% about "the story" ... it's their story -- In the case of On Wings of Fire, it's Will Tavish and Brinna Bouchanan's story, and they crossed 200 years to be together. Hopefully, it won't take me 200 years to take them to their happily ever after. It won't. I have a new deadline for On Wings of Fire, and another 15,000-20,000 word story with a firm deadline of July 1 to finish. Yes, I'm hearing the crack of the whip, so I have to run!

In the words of Willy Wonka: So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.

While you're waiting... be sure to check out the May Giveaway on the newsletter signup page on my website:  http://www.lindaboulangerbooks.com/newsletter-sign-up.html
I also have a giveaway going in my Linda's Dragon Guardians Group on Facebook. Both are pretty awesome, if the comments from others are any indication. 


6 comments:

  1. Some good points in this post. So much time and so little to do. If only Willy Wonka was right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Linda. Yep, so much time and so little to do, if only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens to me, too :) When I'm distracted from writing with other projects, my muse says, "Oh, I see, you're busy. I'll just go and whisper in someone else's ears."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post!! If only we all had more time to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can understand with you making covers for others, your writing will be affected, but you'll get it done, just may take a little longer. So looking forward to this book as I loved the first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post. As an indie author, it's so easy to take on too much.

    ReplyDelete